Portuguese food

The food of Portugal is rich, & has a depth of intensity just like its people.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Shopping Trip to Petersham

Once every 3 months I take a pilgrimage to Petersham, the home of Portuguese food, restaurants & cafes.
My trip usually starts at Charlie's deli where I pick up imported food from Portugal. I'm a massive believer in buying local & do so very often, but I just can't resist buying good imported food that  can't be found here in Australia, especially when it brings back memories of my visits to Portugal over the years.
Then I go to the pastry shops & pick up a few custard tarts & other Portuguese delicacies.
On this day I bought dried codfish that's been de boned (sacrilege to codfish purists), capsicum paste, calamari with ink, peach fruit juice & passion fruit soft drink called Sumol.
I always have a giggle when I buy this drink, I reminisce about the time when I was 8 & was in Portugal for the first time.
We arrived in Lisbon Portugal that day, my father decided to show us Portugal so we disembarked in Lisbon & caught a taxi ( which in those days was cheap) to the south of Portugal, a 5- 6 hour trip in those days, with the new highway it only takes 3 today.
On the way to the Algarve (the south) we stopped at a road side cafe to have some lunch.
My father asked my younger sister & I if we'd like to drink a Sumol (small) & my sister & I said in unison "no, we want a large."




After a day of shopping I decided to use some of these goodies & had a casual dinner.



I bought this coconut cake (Pao de Deus, which translated means bread of God).
My sister in law once told me how much she missed eating this cake or bread so when I saw that it was available at the bakery I snapped it up. It's a bit like a sweet bun with coconut on top. I think it's Portugal's version of a finger bun (sweet bun with pink icing on top).
My sister in law said she used to buy hers at school just as I'm sure a lot of you may have bought your finger bun at.



I bought this doughnut for me at La Patisserie. When I was in Portugal I honestly become addicted to these, they are called Bola de Berlim which when translated means ball of Berlin.
Unfortunately you can't get them exactly like they are in Portugal.
The Portuguese version has a thick yellow custard, delicious. This one featured, unfortunately can't compare to the original.


 These are what you get in Portugal. This photo is not from my private collection,I found this photo on the net.


As the weather is warming up here I decided to make us a simple, no fuss dinner.
Delicious garlicky chorizo.



Just a plain omelet made with fried garlic & parsley


 Prosciutto (Prosunto) & Italian sopressa


Most Portuguese have a garden where they grow there own fruit & vegetables.
At the moment were growing tomatoes, rocket & several herbs.


Charlie's Deli
37 New Canterbury Rd, Petersham
Ph: 9560 4037


La Patisserie
45 New Canterbury Rd, Petersham
02 9569 1107

4 comments:

Roland said...

What a lovely dinner,great on a hot day.

Digital Media Learning said...

The ball with custard from Portugal looks divine, your right it looks way better than the one you can get here.

Anonymous said...

I like the story of when you were little, funny.
Food looks loveley as well.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Thanks for the tour! I must go and visit Petersham and try some of that lovely food :D